Belmont Park in Elmont, N.Y.
Sunday’s Pick 6 will be boosted by a $122,783 carryover, as the multi-race wager went unsolved on Saturday at Belmont Park in Elmont, N.Y.
The $1 Pick 6, implemented at the current 48-day Belmont spring/summer meet, returned $867 to bettors who selected 5-of-6 winners correctly.
Saturday’s off-the-turf sequence kicked off in Race 5 when New York-bred Summer Brew [No. 11] drew in off the main track only list to best open company going six furlongs under Manny Franco for trainer Jorge Abreu. The daughter of Summer Front returned $8.10 for a $2 win wager.
Kathleen Babcock and David Brown’s Wow Brown [No. 3] returned a generous $59 when capturing his fifth career victory in Race 6. The 5-year-old Big Brown gelding made his first start of the year a winning one after having not raced since December when fifth at the same level at Aqueduct.
In Race 7, trainer Jonathan Thomas sent out Augustin Stable homebred Evoking [No. 3] for a successful career debut in a six-furlong off-the-turf maiden special weight. The daughter of Union Rags returned $11.40 for a 4 ½-length victory.
Three Diamonds Farm’s Doubly Blessed [No. 7] defeated a salty field in the fourth leg of the sequence, when earning his fifth career victory. Trained by Mike Maker, the son of Empire Maker returned $8 with his clear cut 1 ½ length victory over the sloppy track.
After finishing 11th in the Grade 1 Kentucky Derby, Sainthood [No. 5] earned his first graded stakes score in the Grade 2 Pennine Ridge for trainer Todd Pletcher. The son of Mshawish raced in tandem with Shawdyshawdyshawdy down the backstretch before engaging in a stretch duel with The Reds, besting his foe by one length. Sainthood returned $3.80 as the only winning favorite in the sequence.
In the finale, jockey Jose Ortiz piloted Kerik [No. 8] to her second career win in the Saturday finale. The daughter of Commissioner trained by Orlando Noda made her first start outside of Gulfstream Park a winning one while returning $32.80.
Featuring a $1 bet minimum and 15 percent takeout, the Pick 6 wager requires bettors to select the first-place finisher of six designated races on the card. A total of 75 percent of the full pool, minus takeout, will be distributed to bettors who select the first-place finisher of all six races. A consolation payout of 25 percent of the net pool will be distributed to tickets selecting 5-of-6 winners.
In the event there are no tickets with six winners, there will be a carryover of 75 percent of the net pool into the next day of the meet with the remaining 25 percent of the net pool distributed as a consolation payout to tickets selecting the first-place finisher in the greatest number of races on the card. On carryover days, the Pick 6 is offered with a 24 percent takeout.
The $1 Pick 6 replaced the Empire 6, a jackpot style wager featuring a $0.20 bet minimum first offered in August 2019 at Saratoga Race Course.
Sunday’s Pick 6 kicks off in Race 4 at 2:31 p.m. Eastern and includes the $100,000 Paradise Creek in Race 8. First post on the nine-race card is 1 p.m. Eastern.
NYRA Bets is the official wagering platform of Belmont Park, and the best way to bet every race of the spring/summer meet. Available to horseplayers nationwide, the NYRA Bets app is available for download today on iOS and Android at www.NYRABets.com.
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2021 Paulick Report.