Five people have died in an attack in Vienna on Monday night, including two male civilians and two female, and one gunman who was killed by police.
Twenty-two people were injured with gunshot and knife wounds, of whom three are in a critical condition.
Authorities described the attacker as a 20-year-old “Islamist terrorist” with North Macedonian and Austrian citizenship.
The suspect was convicted last year for membership of Islamic State after being arrested on his way to Syria to join the group, officials said. The man, who also possessed an Austrian passport, was released early from a 22-month prison sentence in December.
Fourteen people associated with the assailant have been detained for questioning in searches on 18 properties in and near Vienna.
There is no indication of a second assailant, the interior minister, Karl Nehammer, said on Tuesday afternoon, after conflicting reports overnight.
Authorities are examining more than 20,000 pieces of video footage uploaded to them by members of the public to determine how many gunmen were involved and the exact course of events.
The attack began shortly after 8pm with volleys of gunfire.
The suspect was shot by police nine minutes into the attack outside St Rupert’s church, carrying an assault rifle, a handgun and a machete. His body was also found with a fake explosives vest.
The Austrian chancellor, Sebastian Kurz, described the assaults as “definitely” a terror attack that had been “very professionally” planned. Kurz has called the military on to the streets of Vienna.