Rolling coverage of the latest economic and financial news, as Treasury and Bank of England demand support for British companies
- Latest: UK bank bosses told to protect jobs
- 145pm: FTSE 100 up 96 points points or 1.7%
- Markets rally…but German business morale slumps
- Introduction: deal reached on $2tn coronavirus package
- Coronavirus – latest updates
- See all our coronavirus coverage
It was the 13th best day ever for the FTSE 250 index of mid-cap companies.
The FTSE 250 gained 4.57% to reach 14,819.91 points.
And there is the closing rush on the FTSE 100 again: it gained 4.45% today to close at 5,688.20 points.
That makes it the 19th best day in the FTSE 100’s history (back to 1984). And that comes off the back of its second best day ever. These are quite extraordinary times.