Edoardo Molinari and Lorenzo Gagli, the pair of Italian golfers who were forced to withdraw from this week’s Oman Open as a result of coronavirus fears, have re-entered the tournament after it was determined Gagli was not infected. The news was reported by Golfweek this morning, just a day after the AP reported that both golfers were in quarantine.
After Gagli began displaying flu-like symptoms earlier this week, the pair of golfers were placed in quarantine. Gagli and Molinari were sharing a hotel room prior to Gagli falling ill, prompting European Tour doctors (at the behest of the Oman health ministry) to operate with an abundance of caution.
Although Gagli was quickly tested, the pair were told they’d have to remain quarantined until results were determined on Wednesday. The wait forced both players to withdraw from the tournament.
“It’s an inexplicable decision,” Gagli told Italian newspaper La Nazione. “Only us two have been excluded from the tournament, but I arrived in Muscat [Oman] last Sunday, and over the last few days, I’ve worked out in the gym with dozens of other players. I ate with them and traveled by bus with them. If there was a risk of contagion, then they would have to isolate dozens of golfers and cancel the tournament.”
The situation comes amid increased fears about the spread of the illness within the golf world. The PGA Tour-China, LPGA and European Tour have all adjusted or canceled events scheduled in Asia in early 2020 and have been adamant about protecting players and staff from the disease.