Laura Kyle says Betty was a huge part of her life and was always there for her (Picture: Laura Kyle)

A devastated dog owner has warned of the dangers of going out in the hot weather after her pet overheated and died following a 20 minute walk.

Laura Kyle, 32, took Betty, her three-year-old French bulldog, out on Thursday to a field near Livingston, West Lothian.

The rescue dog had been neutered a few weeks before and had only just recovered from the procedure, meaning she was eager to go for a proper run around.

She seemed to be managing just fine in the heat as she played with Laura’s pug, named Frank.

But after Laura brought her two dogs home, gave them some water and left them both to it, she came back to find Betty limp and unresponsive later that afternoon.

The beautician wrapped a wet towel around her to cool her down and rushed her to the vets as soon as she could.

But she was left heartbroken as they told her had heatstroke and brain damage and that it was too late to save her, before putting her to sleep that same day.

Now Laura wants to warn about the perils of walking out in the heat so other dog owners don’t lose their pets in such a horrible way.

She told Metro.co.uk: ‘She’s an amazing wee dog honest, I just loved her so much. Betty was always the good one, she was never a problem.’

The 32-year-old beautician said Betty was ‘an amazing wee dog’ who was alway well behaved (Picture: Laura Kyle)
It was only after the walk, after Betty had been given some water to drink, that things took a turn for the worse (Picture: Laura Kyle)
Laura was sure the vets would be able to save her, which made the news that Betty was brain dead all the more heartbreaking (Picture: Laura Kyle)

Laura says she took the dogs out at around 11.15am and was only out for 20 minutes, so the impact it had on Betty really came as a shock.

She added: ‘I’ve heard of people leaving their dogs in the car and maybe that happened but never going for a walk.’

When Laura took Betty to the vets that day, she says she waited there until 5pm until they told her she was braindead.

She added: ‘I was a bit gutted, I thought they were saving her life and that she was coming home.

‘I would have paid anything, it doesn’t matter about the money, it’s just really gutting, I’m totally devastated.’

Temperatures in Scotland are expected to peak at 28°C later this week, while other parts of the UK could hit 33°C.

Betty had only just recovered from getting neutered and was eager to go out for a walk (Picture: Laura Kyle)
Sadly, Laura says she’s become the target of hateful comments online since the incident came to light (Picture: Laura Kyle)
She wants to warn other dog owners of the risks so other people can avoid losing their pets in such a horrible way (Picture: Laura Kyle)

The Met Office issued its first ever extreme heat warning yesterday, so Laura’s warning is more relevant than ever.

She says there were no obvious warning signs when Betty jumped out of the car and when she was walking about.

Laura added: ‘It’s just heartbreaking because Betty was wee rescue dog. I’d just seen a post on Facebook from somebody who said they’d had her for a week and couldn’t keep her.

‘I work from home and I’ve had some bad mental health lately since coronavirus, it’s been really hard to get clients to come to my house with me being a beautician.

‘I’ve been feeling really horrible about myself and the dogs are always there for me. She was a big part of my life.’

Unfortunately Laura says she has received some ‘hate mail’ on social media since the incident came to light.

Betty was a rescue dog, adopted by Laura from a family who only had her for a week (Picture: Laura Kyle)
Betty’s buddy, a black pug named Frankie, was unharmed (Picture: Laura Kyle)

But she’s doing her best not to let them get to her, adding: ‘They don’t even know me. They are irrelevant to me, the people who know me know I love my animals.’

The RSCPA recommends walking your dog in the morning or evening when it’s cooler to reduce the risk of heatstroke and burning their paws on the pavement.

If your dog is panting heavily, drooling excessively, appears lethargic, drowsy or uncoordinated or is vomiting, they could be suffering from heatstroke.

The RSPCA says for the best chance of survival, dogs suffering from heatstroke need to have their body temperature lowered gradually and should be moved to a shaded and cool area.

The charity says to immediately pour cool (not cold) water over the dog and to use wet towels and a fan.

Owners should give the dog small amounts of cool water to drink while continuing to pour cool water over them until their breathing starts to settle before taking them to the vets as soon as possible.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.





READ NEWS SOURCE

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here