DC United ‘hold talks with Mesut Ozil’s agent in Washington’ as MLS outfit seek Wayne Rooney replacement 

  • DC United have reportedly held talks with Mesut Ozil’s agent in Washington
  • The MLS outfit are looking for a replacement for the outgoing Wayne Rooney
  • England’s record goalscorer has agreed an 18-month deal with Derby County
  • Ozil could return for Arsenal this weekend after recent security scares

MLS side DC United have reportedly held talks with Mesut Ozil’s agent regarding a possible move to the United States.

The American club, who are set to lose Wayne Rooney to Derby County in January, held talks with Ergut Sogut in Washington regarding an audacious move for the Arsenal midfielder in the new year, according to the Washington Post.

Ozil’s representative reportedly met with DC United club executives Jason Levien and Sam Porter to discuss a switch to the MLS.

DC United have reportedly held talks with Mesut Ozil's agent Ergut Sogut in Washington

DC United have reportedly held talks with Mesut Ozil’s agent Ergut Sogut in Washington

DC United's Wayne Rooney has agreed to join Derby County in January on an 18-month deal

DC United’s Wayne Rooney has agreed to join Derby County in January on an 18-month deal 

The group are said to have toured DC United’s stadium, Audi Field, while a visit to the club’s proposed new training ground in Leesburg, Virginia, was also scheduled.

The report suggests that while DC United had prefered a January move, a transfer in the summer is a more likely possibility. 

Rooney agreed an 18-month contract with Derby County earlier this month, with the 33-year-old leaving the MLS to return to England in January.

Ozil featured intermittently during Unai Emery’s first season with Arsenal but he has been kept out of the first team this term after being caught up in a London gang feud.

Mesut Ozil and team-mate Sead Kolasinac (left) were not involved in Arsenal's opening game

Mesut Ozil and team-mate Sead Kolasinac (left) were not involved in Arsenal’s opening game 

He and team-mate Sead Kolasinac were prevented from travelling with the Arsenal squad for their opening day fixture away at Newcastle United on Saturday due to ‘security reasons’. The pair had been the victims of an attempted carjacking at knife point last month, while security has been increased outside both players’ homes.

The pair returned to training this week and boss Unai Emery is confident that both players will be ready to feature against Everton on Saturday.

He said: ‘Yes [I’m] 100 per cent [confident]. One hundred per cent with them. Their mentality, their focus is with us, for training and matches.

‘I want to help them to live with normality with us, training, thinking and focusing on each training and each match.’




READ NEWS SOURCE

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here