You can almost hear the collective sigh of relief from studio executives across Hollywood.

After a brutal year and change for the movie theater business, the North American box office is finally showing signs of life again.

That’s mostly thanks to John Krasinski’s thriller “A Quiet Place Part II,” which has collected a roaring $48 million between Friday and Sunday — the biggest three-day haul of the pandemic era. The Paramount Pictures film is expected to generate a sizable $58 million through Memorial Day on Monday.

Those ticket sales are significant because it’s not far off from what the movie was projected to make prior to the pandemic. (The sequel was originally set to release in March of 2020, and, well, we all know what happened then.)

“This is an outstanding opening,” says David A. Gross, who runs the movie consulting firm Franchise Entertainment Research. “[It’s] well above average for a horror sequel.” He adds that the film could have debuted to $60 million if all U.S. theaters had reopen. “Still,” Gross says, “this movie is going to make a lot of money and bring enormous value to streaming.”

“A Quiet Place Part II,” which sees the return of Emily Blunt, Millicent Simmonds and Noah Jupe as a family forced to live in near-silence, has the benefit of getting an exclusive theatrical release. It will move to Paramount Plus, the streaming service owned by its parent company ViacomCBS, in 45 days. Recent releases, including the Warner Bros. and Legendary tentpole “Godzilla vs. Kong” and Disney’s “Raya and the Last Dragon,” premiered simultaneously on digital platforms. Despite its hybrid rollout on HBO Max, “Godzilla vs. Kong” previously boasted the best start since COVID-19 hit with $32 million for the three-day weekend and $48 million in its first five days on the big screen.

More to come…





READ NEWS SOURCE

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here