24-year-old man charged with murder of Bobbi-Anne McLeod

A 24-year-old musician has been charged with the murder of 18-year-old Bobbi-Anne McLeod, who disappeared from a bus stop in Devon.

Cody Ackland, who lives in the Southway area of Plymouth, will appear before magistrates in the city on Friday.

McLeod, who was described as looking much younger than her age, went missing on Saturday evening and her body was found on Tuesday close to Bovisand beach, seven miles away.

Police said on Friday: “A 24-year-old man has been charged with murder in connection to the disappearance of 18-year-old Bobbi-Anne McLeod.

“Cody Ackland from the Southway area of Plymouth has been charged with murder and remanded in police custody. He is due to appear at Plymouth magistrates court on Friday 26 November.”

“The family of Bobbi-Anne have been informed of this update and continue to be supported by specialist officers.”

Hundreds of people attended a candlelit vigil on Thursday evening close to the bus stop where McLeod was last seen.

The teenager’s mother, Donna McLeod, sobbed as she paid tribute to her daughter and thanked friends, family and the wider community for their support.

Speaking in public for the first time, she said: “Unfortunately, our beautiful Bobbi-Anne has been taken from us, but she will never be forgotten. I’d like everyone to hold their candles up. This is for Bobbi-Anne”.

There followed a moment of silence as the crowd held up their candles in unison. The family group released about 40 balloons into the sky.

At the vigil friends of McLeod expressed concerns for the safety of women and girls. One, Ellie, 18, said: “She was just the nicest kid I’ve ever met in my life, it’s the nicest ones who are taken early, and it’s just horrible. Nobody deserves to be treated like that. It hits home so hard how vulnerable you can be.”

Earlier the Devon and Cornwall assistant chief constable Nikki Leaper said in a statement: “I can confirm that at this time there is no known link between the suspect and victim and I would like to reassure the public that at this time, we are not seeking anyone else in relation to this matter.

“A significant number of inquiries and searches have been carried out in relation to the ongoing murder investigation in Plymouth. These inquiries remain ongoing across a number of scenes in and around the city.”

She also said a 26-year-old man who was also arrested on suspicion of murder was released from police custody having been eliminated from the inquiry.

Ackland attended a local school and is the lead guitarist and songwriter for a Plymouth indie rock band called Rakuda. Named after a bar on the city’s historic waterfront, the group has a loyal following in the area.

On Friday his bandmates issued a statement saying: “The remaining members of Rakuda are all extremely shocked and in complete disbelief by the tragic event that has unfolded over the last several days.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with Bobbi-Anne McLeod’s family and friends who must be devastated at their loss.

“As a mark of respect, we have decided that we shall not be going forward as a band and will be disbanding with immediate effect. We will not be making any further comments at this time.”


Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.