Gaming

14-year-old boy shot, killed while playing video games in Salisbury home – WSOC Charlotte


SALISBURY, N.C. — Police are investigating after they said a 14-year-old boy was shot to death over the weekend while playing video games inside a Salisbury home.

Investigators told Channel 9 that shortly before 5 p.m. on Sunday a group of juveniles were in the basement of the home on Maple Avenue, playing video games.

A gun, which detectives learned had been stolen from somewhere else, was being passed around between the group when the weapon accidently fired, hitting the 14-year-old victim, investigators said.

The teen, who was a student at Salisbury High School, was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead. His name has not been released and police have not said how old the others involved are.

“I haven’t heard what went on,” parent Rodney Chambers said. “All I heard was what the state trooper told me. He said something went on here last night.”

No other details have been released.

Officials said that because of the sensitivity of the death, local schools were placed on lockdown Monday morning as a precaution.

“My heart really goes out to the family even though I don’t know them,” resident Delfina McGowan-Simpson said. “It’s always sad to hear about these incidents, tragedies. Especially when it involves children, teenagers, getting a hold of weapons.”

Anyone with more information about this case should call the Salisbury Police Department at 704-638-5262.

School officials issued the following statement on Monday:

“It is with deep regret that we inform you about a recent loss to our school community. A Salisbury High School student was involved in an incident over the weekend resulting in the death of the student.

“Rowan-Salisbury Schools has a Crisis Intervention Team made up of professionals trained to help with the needs of students, parents, and school personnel at difficult times such as this. Salisbury High School has counselors available for any student who may need or want help or any type of assistance surrounding this loss.

“Out of an abundance of caution, and due to the incident occurring in close proximity to Salisbury High School, Overton Elementary, Knox Middle, and Salisbury High School are in code yellow lockdown today with extra law enforcement presence. The safety of our students is our top priority. We will continue to work closely with law enforcement as they continue their investigation and take all necessary measures in assuring that our schools remain safe.”

(WATCH BELOW: Community leaders meet as frustrations over toddler’s shooting death grow)





READ NEWS SOURCE

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.