“Heaven is a fairy tale for people afraid of the dark.” –Stephen Hawking
I’m afraid of the dark.
If we’re talking about the endless kind of darkness that offers no light anywhere, no hope ever, and nothing but nothingness, who among us would not panic at the thought of that?
I expect people like Mr. Hawking simply find the idea of Heaven too good to be true, and thus conclude that it must be a product of man’s delusional yearning for “pie in the sky by and by.”
And yet, there are solid reasons for reasonable people to believe in the concept of a Heavenly home after this earthly life. Here are some that mean a lot to me. By no means is this list exhaustive. It’s simply my thinking on the subject.
The God who made us created us with a longing for Himself and a satisfaction in nothing less.
When we get to Heaven, we will finally be satisfied, but not until then. “I shall be satisfied with Thy likeness when I awake” (Psalm 17:15).
“I go to prepare a place for you,” said our Lord. “And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you unto myself, that where I am, there you may be also.” (John 14:3).
If it were not so, I would have told you.
Jesus said that. I believe Him.
I choose to believe.
Image courtesy: Getty Images / ArtyFree
1. Jesus believed in Heaven.
Slide 1 of 10
2. Scripture consistently teaches the existence of Heaven.
Slide 2 of 10
3. I believe in Heaven because I believe in earth.
Slide 3 of 10
4. There has to be a heaven to even up the earthly hell God’s most faithful sometimes endure for Jesus’ sake.
Slide 4 of 10
5. Every caterpillar/butterfly testifies to our heavenly future.
Slide 5 of 10
6. I believe in Heaven because the alternative is despair.
Slide 6 of 10
7. I believe in Heaven because some of the best people who ever lived believed in Heaven.
Slide 7 of 10
8. I believe in Heaven because I believe in hell.
Slide 8 of 10
9. I believe in Heaven because it’s a great incentive to responsible living and compassionate everything.
Slide 9 of 10
10. I believe in Heaven because of reasons I’m yet to discover.
Slide 10 of 10